The main coordination center for innovation policy in Ukraine is the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine (CMU), which exerts its influence through two central ministries:
Ministry of Economic Development, Trade and Agriculture of Ukraine (MEDTAU) is responcible for the provision, formation and implementation of:
- state policy in the field of entrepreneurship development;
- public investment policy, in particular on public investment management;
- state intellectual property policy;
- state innovation policy in the real economy.
The Regulation on the Ministry of Economic Development, Trade and Agriculture of Ukraine was approved by CMU Resolution No. 459 of July 20, 2014 (last revision dated December 4, 2019 pursuant to CMU Resolution No. 1072). You can find the Ministry’s Regulations in detail here.
Among the main tasks of the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine (MESU)
are to ensure, form and implement state policy in the areas of:
- education and science;
- scientific, scientific-technical activity and innovative activity in the mentioned fields;
- transfer (transfer) of technologies.
According to the tasks assigned to it, the Ministry:
- carries out regulatory regulation in the spheres of education and science, scientific, scientific and technical activity, innovative activity in the mentioned fields, transfer (transfer) of technologies;
- forms priority directions of development of science and technology and innovative activity on the basis of long-term and medium-term forecasts of scientific-technical and innovative development;
- organizes and coordinates innovative activities in the fields of education and science, scientific, scientific and technical activities;
- ensures the formation of state policy on technology transfer, transfer of property rights to technologies and / or their components;
- ensures the development of the national system of scientific and technical information, the national innovation system, the system of scientific and scientific and technical expertise of projects of national, international and regional programs;
The Regulation on the MESU was approved by CMU Resolution No. 630 of October 16, 2014 (last revised from December 18, 2019 according to CMU Resolution No. 1080). You can find the Ministry’s Regulations in detail here.
Ukrainian legislation in the field of innovation policy
All documents are available in Ukrainian only.
- Parliament Resolution “On the Concept of Scientific, Technological and Innovative Development of Ukraine” No. 916-XIV dated July 13, 1999
- Law of Ukraine “On Special Regime of Innovative Activity of Technology Parks” 991-XIV dated 16.07.1999 (Status of the document: in force, actial version is dated 05.12.2012)
- CMU Resolution “On Regulatory Acts for Ensuring the Implementation of the Law of Ukraine“ On Special Regime of Innovative Activity of Technology Parks ”” No. 2311 dated December 17, 1999
- Decree of the President of Ukraine “On the decision of the National Security and Defense Council of July 3, 2001 “On urgent measures to remove from the crisis the scientific and technological sphere of Ukraine and create real conditions for the transition of the economy to an innovative model of development” 640/2001 dated 20.08 .2001
- Law of Ukraine “On Innovative Activity” 40-IV of 04.07.2002 (Status of the document: in force, actual version is dated 05.12.2012)
- CMU Resolution “On Approval of the Procedure for State Registration of Innovative Projects and Maintenance of the State Register of Innovative Projects” No. 474 dated09.2003
- Joint Order of the Ministry of Agrarian Policy of Ukraine and the Ministry of Education of Ukraine “On providing for the activation of innovative activity in the agricultural sector of the economy and regions of Ukraine” No. 227/494 dated06.2004
- Parliament Resolution “On Compliance with Legislation on the Development of Scientific and Technical Potential and Innovative Activity in Ukraine” No. 1786-IV dated06.2004
- Parliament Resolution “On Recommendations of Parliamentary Hearings on “National Innovation System of Ukraine: Problems of Formation and Implementation”” 1244-V dated 27.06. 2007
- CMU Resolution “On approval of the State Targeted Economic Program ”Creating Innovative Infrastructure in Ukraine for 2009-2013”” 447 dated 14.05.2008 (Document status: in force, actual version is dated 02.11.2012)
- CMU Resolution “On approval of the State Target Program for the Development of the Information and Analytical Support System for the Implementation of the State Innovation Policy and the Monitoring of the State of Innovative Economic Development” No. 439 dated 07.05. 2008 (Document status: in force, actual version is dated 21.10.2011)
- CMU Order “On Approval of the Concept of Development of the National Innovation System” No. 680-р dated06.2009
- Parliament Resolution “On Recommendations of the Parliamentary Hearings on the theme: “Strategy of innovative development of Ukraine for 2010-2020 in the conditions of globalization challenges” No. 2632-VI dated10.2010
- Law of Ukraine “On Priority Areas of Innovative Activity in Ukraine” No. 3715-VI of 08/09/2011 (Status of the document: in force, actual version is dated 05.12.2012)
- CMU Order “On Approval of the Concept of Public Policy Reform in the Innovative Sphere” No. 691-р dated09.2012
- Order of the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine “On approval of the application form for consideration of the innovation project, the form of the innovation project and the Procedure for conducting state examination of innovative projects” No. 1052 dated07.2013 (Registered in the Ministry of Justice – 08.08.2013, No. 1351/23883 )
- CMU Order “On Approval of the Action Plan for the Implementation of the Concept of Public Policy Reform in the Innovation Sphere for 2015-2019” No. 575-р dated 04/06/2015
- CMU Resolution “Some Issues of Determining Medium-Term Priority Areas of Innovative Activity of the National Level for 2017-2021” 1056 dated 28.12.2016
- CMU Order “On Starting Work on the Establishment of a Technology and Innovation Support Center in Ukraine” No 20-p dated01.2018
- CMU Order “On approval of the Strategy for the development of the sphere of innovative activity for the period up to 2030” 526-р dated 10.07.2019